Family Day is coming up on February 15, so I thought I’d share a list of some great things to do in Calgary on Family Day that might be fun to try out, whether with your family, or maybe with friends that are just like your family! Exploring something new is a great way to spend a long weekend around the city.
- Visit all the animals at the Zoo
- Take a look at art and early Calgary history at the Glenbow
- Check out an exhibit-like Body Worlds at Telus Spark or Reflections in Chrome-A Motorcycle Retrospective at Heritage Park
- Stop by the Devonian Gardens
- Visit the Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre New Year Carnival
- Try fishing on Family Fishing Weekend– you don’t need a licence, but remember that there are still some rules to follow!
- Try skating at one of the arenas from 1- 2:30pm
- Or skate at the Olympic Oval.
- There are free public swims at some of the public pools
- Drop in to LEGO club at the Library
- Find a new favourite café by grabbing a yummy hot chocolate from one of YYC Hot Chocolate Fest’s participants. And know that you’ll be helping charity too!
- Telus Spark is always great to have some fun (and learn something too)
- Fort Calgary’s Winter Carnival
- Volunteer: See if any local organizations could use your help/time – maybe the Mustard Seed, Drop In Centre, SPCA, or your local arts or heritage organization. Some organizations are accepting donations for much needed items – organize a donation drive with your friends, family, and neighbours
And this is only the beginning! Head out to a movie, go bowling, try one of the new board game cafes, visit the library and curl up with a good book, go tobogganing, try a new hobby, paint pottery at Colour Me Mine or Fire escape (Ooh! I should let Sky know to check that out), bake some cookies, have fun at laser tag, or just take a break from school and work and spend some time catching up with your friends and family!
You could also check out a play, a dance performance, or the orchestra, or maybe a Calgary Hitmen, Flames, or Roughnecks game (but you’ll need tickets for all of these!)
There are always so many things happening in our city! Here are some great places to keep up with what’s happening:
- City of Calgary Recreation– leisure centres, ice rinks, art centres, bird sanctuaries, day camps, and more.
- Avenue Calgary
- Calgary Public Library
- Family Fun Canada