The first International Women’s Day was held in 1911 and is celebrated annually on 8 March with thousands of events across the world. The United Nations has its own official theme each year. Their theme for 2014 is ‘equality for women is progress for all’.
Here are 5 ways you can celebrate this important day:
1. Attend an event. Each year there are thousands of International Women’s Day (IWD) events organised by corporations, women’s groups, schools, governments, charities and individuals from around the world. No matter where you are, there is surely something happening. I will post some of what’s going on in Calgary, but be sure to do some research on your own!
2. Send or deliver cards to the favourite girls & women in your life. Whether it’s your mom, best firend or an old mentor – reach out to them today. Who doesn’t love getting an unexpected card in the mail or hand delivered?
3. Donate or volunteer your time to your favourite women’s cause or charity. Organizations like Kiva allow you to help a woman in another country start her own business. So cool! Or volunteer your talents instead. There are tons of amazing organizations in Calgary that support women in need and they are always looking for an extra helping hand!
4. Connect. What better excuse to get together with some of your best friends than a day all about celebrating women? Get your favourite women & girls together and ask each of them to bring a friend. This is a great way to expand your friend group and to get to know some more amazing young women!
5. Post. Tweet or post amazing things you see about women online. Share them with your social network and remind them the importance of International Women’s Day. #IWD2014
Source: Kiva via Youtube